7 DAY FOOD WASTE REDUCTION CHALLENGE RESOURCE HUB
Our resource hub provides extra information on the problem of food waste and each of the daily challenges in the 7 Day Food Waste Reduction Challenge.
The INFEWS-ER Food Waste Cohort’s mission is to increase the awareness of consumer food waste nationally and collectively challenge each other to save money, save resources, and save the planet through a social media campaign: 7 Day Food Waste Reduction Challenge!
We have organized our campaign to follow the EPA’s Food Recovery Hierarchy. Our first challenge brings awareness to the issue of food waste, Challenges Two through Four focus on food waste prevention, and Challenges Five through Seven provide resources on reusing and recycling our food waste.
- “United States 2030 Food Loss and Waste Reduction Goal.” EPA. (2021). www.epa.gov/sustainable-management-food/united-states-2030-food-loss-and-waste-reduction-goal
- “WASTED: HOW AMERICA IS LOSING UP TO 40 PERCENT OF ITS FOOD FROM FARM TO FORK TO LANDFILL”. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc. (2017). https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/files/wasted-2017-report.pdf
- “Roadmap to 2030: Reducing US Food Waste by 50%”. https://refed.com/food-waste/the-solutions/#roadmap-2030
- “Food Waste in America in 2021: Statistics + Facts”. rts. https://www.rts.com/resources/guides/food-waste-america/
- “10 Food Waste Facts. OLIO. https://olioex.com/food-waste/food-waste-facts/
- “Study calculates true cost of food waste in America”. The College of William & Mary. (2020). https://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2020/study-calculates-true-cost-of-food-waste-in-america.php#:~:text=A%20new%20study%20by%20Zach,that%20ends%20up%20being%20wasted.
|Scale||Description||Picture||Rate your plate waste|
|0||No food waste|
|1||Very small quantity|
|5||Very large quantity||
- Elaine Povich. “Food Waste Is a Major Problem. Confusing Date Labels Are Making It Worse”. Pew Trusts. (2019). https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2019/03/28/food-waste-is-a-major-problem-confusing-date-labels-are-making-it-worse
- “Spotlight on Date Labeling Regulations”. ReFED. (2021). https://policyfinder.refed.com/spotlight-on-date-labeling
Fruit scraps (non-banana)
Banana peels & overripe bananas
| Can you eat banana peels? | Banana Peel “Bacon” | Banana Peel “Pulled Pork” Sandwich | Banana Peel “Carnitas” Enchiladas | Banna Stir Fry | Banana Peel Curry | Banana “Fried Fish Fillet” | Banana Peel Cake | Banana Peel Tea | Banana Pancakes | Banana Bread | Banana Muffins |
Other useful links
- “30 Clever Ways to Use Food Scraps”. The Zero Waste Memoirs. (2021). https://zerowastememoirs.com/baby-step-17-food-scraps/
- “30+ Ways to Stop Wasting Eggs.” Foodprint.org. (2019). https://foodprint.org/blog/how-to-use-leftover-eggs/
- “15 Creative Uses for Food Scraps”. The Zero-Waste Chef. (2018). https://zerowastechef.com/2018/05/02/15-creative-uses-food-scraps/
- “Zero Waste Cooking: 17 Ways to Reduce Food Waste in the Kitchen” FoodPrint.org. (2020). https://foodprint.org/blog/zero-waste-cooking/
- “Recipe Index”. Zero Waste Chef. https://zerowastechef.com/recipe-index/
- “How Long Are Leftovers Good For? (And What to Do With Them)”. Workweek Lunch. (2020). https://workweeklunch.com/leftovers-tips/
- “10 Exciting Ideas for Leftovers”. 100 Days of Real Food. (2019). https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/10-exciting-ideas-for-leftovers/