What is Transdisciplinary Research?
- Gould, M. (2010). GIScience Grand challenGeSHow can research and technology in this field address big-picture problems? ArcUser, Fall, pp. 64-65. Retrieved from: https://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/1010/files/geochallenges.pdf
- Lang, D. J., Wiek, A., Bergmann, M., Stauffacher, M., Martens, P., Moll, P., … Thomas, C. J. (2012). Transdisciplinary research in sustainability science: Practice, principles, and challenges. Sustainability Science, 7(1), 25–43. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11625-011-0149-x
- NAE. (2019). Grand Challenges—14 Grand Challenges for Engineering. Retrieved December 12, 2019, from NAE Grand Challenges for Engineering website: http://www.engineeringchallenges.org/challenges.aspx
- NRC. (2014). Convergence: Facilitating Transdisciplinary Integration of Life Sciences, Physical Sciences, Engineering, and Beyond. Washington, DC: National Academies Press.
- Stock, P., & Burton, R. J. F. (2011). Defining Terms for Integrated (Multi-Inter-Trans-Disciplinary) Sustainability Research. Sustainability, 3(8), 1090–1113. https://doi.org/10.3390/su3081090
- UN. (2018). The Sustainable Development Goals Report: 2018 (p. 40). Retrieved from United Nations website: https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/files/report/2018/TheSustainableDevelopmentGoalsReport2018.pdf
National Science Foundation
Zotero collection https://www.zotero.org/groups/1330590/infews-er
Personal Knowledge Networks
- Bertsch, B., Cotton, D., Hancock, C., Heemstra, J. (2018). Meaningful Stakeholder Engagement Using Personal Knowledge Mastery. Retrieved from: https://mediaspace.illinois.edu/media/t/1_8iij91j8
- Jarche, H. (2016). Personal Knowledge Mastery (video). Retrieved from: https://youtu.be/25AwzF40ugo
- Jarche, H. (2016). Connected Leadership in World of Perpetual Beta (video). Retrieved from: https://youtu.be/InGuH8XMqIA
- Jarche, H. (Feb 10, 2014). The Seek > Sense > Share Framework (blog post). Retrieved from: https://jarche.com/2014/02/the-seek-sense-share-framework/
- Stepper, J. (n.d.). Working Out Loud (website). Retrieved from: https://workingoutloud.com/
- van der Hel, S. (2016). New science for global sustainability? The institutionalization of knowledge co-production in Future Earth. Environmental Science & Policy 61:165-175. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301705485_New_science_for_global_sustainability_The_institutionalisation_of_knowledge_co-production_in_Future_Earth
High Performing Teams
- Koelsch R., Kaslon, L., McElroy, L. (2018). High Performing Teams for Wicked Food/Energy/Water Challenges (recorded webinar). Retrieved from: https://mediaspace.illinois.edu/media/t/1_bpk0j0rj
- Katzenbach, J. R., & Smith, D. K. (2015). The wisdom of teams: Creating the high-performance organization. Harvard Business Review Press, Boston, MA. Semantic Scholar abstract of the book
- Lencioni, P. (2006). The five dysfunctions of a team. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ. Wikipedia introduction to Lencioni’s book
- Schneider, M. (2017). Google Spent 2 Years Studying 180 Teams. The Most Successful Ones Shared These 5 Traits. Retrieved from: https://www.inc.com/michael-schneider/google-thought-they-knew-how-to-create-the-perfect.html
- Bullen, P. (2014). Stakeholder Analysis Matrix Template. Retrieved from: http://www.tools4dev.org/resources/stakeholder-analysis-matrix-template/
- Emery, M., & Flora, C. (2006). Spiraling-up: Mapping community transformation with community capitals framework. Community development, 37(1), 19-35. https://doi.org/10.1080/15575330609490152
- Reed, M. S., Graves, A., Dandy, N., Posthumus, H., Hubacek, K., Morris, J., … & Stringer, L. C. (2009). Who’s in and why? A typology of stakeholder analysis methods for natural resource management. Journal of environmental management, 90(5), 1933-1949. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301479709000024
- Roseke, B. (2019). How to perform a stakeholder analysis. Retrieved from: https://www.projectengineer.net/how-to-perform-a-stakeholder-analysis/
- Smartsheet (n.d.). Stakeholder analysis matrix template. Retrieved from: https://www.smartsheet.com/free-stakeholder-analysis-templates
FEW-View: Visualizing Mesoscale Food-Energy-Water Flows
Part 1: What is mesoscale?
- Home – FEWSION. (2020). Accessed: June 24, 2020. https://fewsion.us/
- Hope, D. (Producer) and B. Ruddell. (2018, July 11). Crucial FEWSION Episode 1: Introduction to FEWSION [Audio podcast]. https://soundcloud.com/diane-hope/crucial-fewsion-episode-1-introduction-to-fewsion
- Horowitz, K.J., Planting, M.A. (2009). Bureau of Economic Analysis, Concepts, and Methods of the U.S. Input-Output. https://www.bea.gov/resources/methodologies/concepts-methods-io-accounts
- Horowitz, K.J., Planting, M.A. (2009). Bureau of Economic Analysis, Concepts, and Methods of the U.S. Input-Output, Chapter 1. https://www.bea.gov/sites/default/files/methodologies/IOmanual_092906.pdf
- Information theory. (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Accessed: June 24, 2020. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_theory
- Lant, C., Baggio, J., Konar, M., Mejia, A., Ruddell, B., Rushforth, R., … & Troy, T. J. (2019). The US food–energy–water system: A blueprint to fill the mesoscale gap for science and decision-making. Ambio, 48(3), 251-263. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13280-018-1077-0
- Shannon, C.E. (1948), “A Mathematical Theory of Communication”, Bell System Technical Journal, 27, pp. 379–423 & 623–656, July & October 1948.
Part 2: Food at the mesoscale
- Committee on a Framework for Assessing the Health, Environmental, and Social Effects of the Food System; Food and Nutrition Board; Board on Agriculture and Natural Resources; Institute of Medicine; National Research Council; NesheimMC, OriaM, YihPT, editors. A Framework for Assessing Effects of the Food System. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2015 Jun 17.2, Overview of the U.S. Food System.Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK305173/
- Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee. (2015). Chapter 2: Shifts needed to align with healthy eating habits. In: Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2015-2020 Eighth Edition. Government Printing Office. https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/chapter-2/current-eating-patterns-in-the-united-states
- FEW-View https://fewsion.us/few-view
- Heller, M. and G. Keoleian(2000) Life Cycle-Based Sustainability Indicators for Assessment of the U.S. Food System, The University of Michigan Center for Sustainable Systems, CSS00-04.
- Hoppe R.A., MacDonald J. (2013). Updating the ERS farm typology. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service; Economic Information Bulletin No. 110.
- Key N.D., McBride W. (2007). The changing economics of U.S. hog production.Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
Part 3: Introduction to Energy/Visualizing the Energy System
- Department of Homeland Security (n.d.) Homeland Infrastructure Foundation Level Data (HIFLD). https://hifld-geoplatform.opendata.arcgis.com/ (Accessed June 29, 2020)
- Dieter, C.A., Maupin, M.A., Caldwell, R.R., Harris, M.A., Ivahnenko, T.I., Lovelace, J.K., Barber, N.L., and Linsey, K.S., 2018, Estimated use of water in the United States in 2015: U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1441, 65 p., https://doi.org/10.3133/cir1441.
- Energy Infrastructure. (n.d.). Oil Supply Chain. https://energyinfrastructure.org/energy-101/oil-supply-chain Accessed June 29, 2020
- International Energy Agency. (n.d.) https://www.iea.org/Sankey/ (Accessed June 29, 2020)
- US Energy Information Agency. (n.d.) Energy Mapping System. https://www.eia.gov/state/maps.php (Accessed June 29, 2020)
Part 4: Introduction to Water/Visualizing the Water System
- Rushforth, R. R., and Ruddell, B. L. (2018). A spatially detailed blue water footprint of the United States economy, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 22, 3007-3032, https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-22-3007-2018.
- US Geological Survey. (n.d.). Water Use in the United States. https://www.usgs.gov/mission-areas/water-resources/science/water-use-united-states Accessed June 29, 2020
- US Geological Survey. (n.d.). US Water Use from 1950-2015. https://owi.usgs.gov/vizlab/water-use/ Accessed June 29, 2020
- Water Footprint Network. (n.d.). Personal Water Footprint Calculator. https://waterfootprint.org/en/resources/interactive-tools/personal-water-footprint-calculator/ Accessed June 29, 2020